GIFT SHOP MANAGER
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Volunteer Services or other hospital administrator
EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: College degree, experience in retail operation and shop management, computer knowledge, and proven success in working with people, preferably with volunteers.
SCHEDULE: Full-time supervisory position, 40 hours weekly, Monday - Friday. May need to provide staffing back-up in emergency or absence of staff or volunteers.
SUMMARY: Directly responsible for overall management and operation of the Gift Shop.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Prepares short and long term annual goals and objectives, reviews with Gift Shop Committee and direct operations toward their successful accomplishment.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures.
- Attends and participates in hospital gift shop management workshops and conference of the hospital gift shop industry.
- Remains informed of hospital initiatives and policies.
- Coordinates volunteer activities with Director of Volunteer Services and Gift Shop Committee.
- Interviews prospective volunteers prior to placement in gift shop.
- Ensures volunteer well-being and job satisfaction.
- Maintains and trains volunteer staff.
- Maintains, interviews, hires, trains, evaluates, supervises and schedules paid staff.
- Assigns staff functions, designate duties and assignments.
- Conducts paid staff performance evaluations.
- Maintains efficient and accurate methods and systems for gift shop financial operations.
- Prepares monthly and annual financial reports.
- Prepares and submits an annual budget.
- Maintains accurate and current vendor files, merchandise received records and invoice payments.
- Supervises the counting and reporting of cash revenues.
- Controls and monitors operational budget: supplies, fixturing and equipment.
- Directs and implements shoplifting deterrents and shop signage.
- Determines major capital expenditures and proposals to Board, Supervisor and/or Gift Shop Committee.
MERCHANDISE AND BUYING OPERATION
- Directs and coordinates the quality and types of merchandise that best meets the needs of staff, patients and visitors.
- Maintains accurate pricing
- Takes markdowns when necessary.
- Takes extra markups when possible
- Reorder merchandise when needed.
- Advises volunteer and/or paid buyers at monthly Buyer's Meetings.
- Sets buying policies and procedures
- Maintains adequate inventory levels necessary to increase sales.
- Leads and directs year-end physical inventory.
- Facilitates buyers to attend major market at least once per year.
- Plans, schedules, organizes and presents special events and promotions.
- Markets shop through hospital media
POS System Requirements and Outcomes
- Maintains inventory figures for each department
- Is highly proficient with the POS system to provide cashier training.
- Produces accurate and comprehensive financial reports; sales history, profits, inventory at cost and retail values, quantities on hand, quantities on order, profit margins for each item, vendor and category.
- Provides monthly inventory figures for each category.
- Provides sales analysis for each category’s performance.
GIFT SHOP DEVELOPMENT
- Plans and directs space and facility allocation.
- Directs major and minor alteration projects.
- Coordinates general maintenance of Gift Shop.
- Assists volunteers in planning merchandise displays and shop appearance
Cindy Jones Associates 4554 Cottonwood Dr Ann Arbor, MI 48108 Phone: 734-769-6536
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.cindyjonesassociates.com